One of Hagstrom’s last projects before their Swedish production stopped was a collaboration between their chief guitar designer Per-Åke Olsson and Rutger Gunnarsson, bassist for the Swedish super-group ABBA. This resulted in the Super Swede Bass, which was used by Rutger throughout ABBA’s final North American tour in 1980.
Only 364 of these basses were produced before Hagstrom ceased guitar production in Sweden, and over the years they’ve become a sought-after collector’s item.
Hagstrom’s original Super Swede bass had a neck-through design, a feature found typically on more expensive hand-crafted bass guitars. Neck-through basses offer unrestricted access to the highest frets since there is no heel needed to support the neck/body joint, and also tend to have more sustain than traditional set-neck or bolt-on instru¬ments.
The new Super Swede Bass is an authentic re-creation of this historic model from 1980. A Resinator® fingerboard enhances the sustain of the neck-through design and contributes to the guitars articulate attack. Strings are anchored in place with individual saddles coupled directly to the single massive neck structure providing a foundation for long, piano-like sustain.
Hagstrom’s brand-new J-Quad quad-stacked humbuckers are introduced with the Super Swede Bass. We thought it appropriate to commemorate this historic design with our latest pickup innovation. The J-Quads combine low-noise performance with a broad support of the full tonal spectrum, and just a little extra emphasis on mids and lows for when that extra “growl” is needed.
- Body: Double Cutaway - Original 1980 Super Swede Bass Design. All Mahogany Construction
- Neck: Neck Through - Mahogany - Deep “D” Profile, H-Expander™ Truss Rod, 1-Ply Binding
- Fingerboard/Nut: Resinator™ Fingerboard / 34” (864mm) Scale Length, Pearloid Block Inlays, 20 Medium Jumbo Frets / 15” Radius, GraphTech Black Tusq Nut / 40mm Nut Width.
- Electronics: 2 x Hagstrom Design J-Quad - quad-stacked Humbucker, 2 x Volume Control, 1 x Tone Control, Chrome Knobs
- Parts: Hagstrom Individual Adjustable Direct-Mount Saddles, Hagstrom 22:1 Chrome Die Cast Tuners, D’Addario (0.055 - 0.105) Strings
- Optional: Case B-70 or Bag B-40